When entering in to a residential lease, it is wise to consult an experienced attorney whether you are the lessor or the lessee. Proper negotiation and preparation of residential leases can prevent inconvenient and costly problems in the future. Damon will assist residential owners and tenants in negotiating and drafting leases that protect their rights and interests. He also offers aggressive representation for landlord-tenant disputes.
There are numerous questions that need to be resolved in a residential leasing agreement. These include:
- The term of the lease
- Rental rate, expiration date and consequences for late payment
- Security deposit conditions
- Limitations such as number of occupants, subletting stipulations, pet prohibitions, etc.
- How to end the lease
- Consequences for breaking the lease
Whether or not a lease agreement is properly drafted, landlord-tenant disputes can arise. Common examples of landlord-tenant disputes include:
- Failure of tenant to pay rent in timely manner
- Failure of tenant to vacate property after lease termination
- Tenant caused nuisance
- Tenant caused property damage
- Breach of lease agreement by either tenant or landlord
- Failure of landlord to provide essential services and repairs
- Security deposit disputes
Damon is experienced in representing landlords and tenants in lease disputes including court actions, forcible detainer suits, lease amendments, termination agreements and settlement agreements. He understands the legal rights of landlords and tenants and strongly advocates on every client’s behalf.